Visa Information



If you come to stay in Ireland for more than three months, and you are not a citizen of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you must register your presence in Ireland with An Garda Síochána (the Irish police force).

The Registration Certificate is the size of a credit card and includes your name, address, photograph and your residence details.

1. It is sometimes called a “GNIB card” as it is issued by the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB).
2 . As well as your Registration Certificate you will also receive a stamp in your passport which specifies the duration and the conditions of your permission to remain in Ireland


As of April 10 2007 legally resident non-EEA third level graduates have been allowed to remain in Ireland for the purpose of seeking employment and applying for a green card or work permit. Graduates who have received a primary, masters or doctorate degree from an Irish third level educational institution on or after January 1st, 2007 can apply for this scheme.

A person who qualifies for this scheme will be granted one non-renewable extension to their current student permission for a six month period starting on the day upon which they received their exam results.

This scheme allows the person to work for up to 40 hours a week under student visa arrangements (Stamp 2) and/or to seek employment and apply for further permission to remain in the state under green card or work permit arrangements.

To apply for this scheme graduates should present at their local Garda Siochána registration office, or at the Garda National immigration Bureau, 13/14 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2 with relevant supporting documentation.

For more information of the conditions and requirements of this scheme please visit the website of the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment (DETE).