Working During Studies

United States of America

Current immigration regulations permit international students to work only part-time — up to 20 hours per week — and only on campus during their first year of study. Campus jobs may include working at the university’s cafeteria, bookstore, library, or health club, or within the university’s administrative offices.

Under current regulations, after your first year of study, you may apply for permission to work off campus for up to 20 hours a week.

You should note, however, that there is no guarantee that this request will be granted.

If you are married and are in the United States on an F-1 student visa, your spouse does not have permission to work; however, if you are in the United States on a J-1 student visa, your spouse is allowed to request a temporary work permit.