Do I have to renew my study permit every year? How do I renew it?

In general, students will receive a study permit for the full period of their studies, e.g. three or four years. However, an immigration officer has the authority to issue a permit for a one-year period only. To renew your permit, you must submit an application to the Case Processing Centre in Alberta, Canada PRIOR TO the expiry of your authorization. Forms are available at CIC Centres across Canada.